Gemr user Mschinaultjr in the spotlight this week for his collection of toys, comic books, Transformers and G.I. Joe. Melvin Chinault is from Georgia and is also a fan of heavy metal music and the movie, The Crow. Click here to see his collection consisting of items he wants, items he is selling and items he is simply showcasing on Gemr.
1. How did you first get into collecting?
I got into collecting when I was given my first G.I. Joe. A straight arm Snake-Eyes back in 1983 and like most toys in the hands of children, he broke not long after. Around 1988, I was given my first set of comics from my mom. She worked at a 7-Eleven and she would bring me a bunch of random books home. Comics are what really got me into collecting. I still played with my toys but I was learning how to take care of them at the same time.
2. Where do you usually go to find items to add to your collection?
Mostly from stores, but I also shop online for some of the harder to find items.
3. Which item is your absolute favorite?
This is a very hard question to answer. But I would say that I find myself talking more about my Crow #2 signed by Obarr.
4. How much do you think your most valuable item is worth?
It depends on the line that you are most interested in. Out of 2,000 comics, I have a few that I keep locked away until I can get them graded… Well that nearly triples the price.
5. Would you ever consider selling your collection?
I may one day, but it will not be anytime soon.
6. Do you go to events where you can meet people who collect?
I did back home in Virginia, but now it is a bit harder to do. Back home, the local convention got started from just a bunch of comic collectors and store owners getting together renting a conference room and selling to mostly fans of the local store owners.
7. Do you think your collection will ever be “complete”?
8. Do your friends and co-workers know about your collectibles?
Yeah, what’s to hide? Collecting something is like having a tattoo; it is on the verge of mainstreaming.
9. What is your “holy grail” item?
WOW, another hard question. Let me start by saying that you never have just one grail. You have a set of items that you need to complete something or you want due to your own want and needs.
I can give you my top 5:
1) A #1 issue of a Marvel book signed by Stan “The Man” Lee
2) Incredible Hulk #181
3) Amazing Spider-Man #4 vol. 3 variant
4) Edge of the Spider Verse #2
5) Marvel Legend Spider-Gwen and Spider-Girl/May Parker